The New Year is upon us and we are excited to kick things off with the second annual Albany CrossFit OPEN!!
What is the Albany CrossFit OPEN?
The Albany CrossFit OPEN is an excellent opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone heading into the New Year. Last year we saw members in our gym taking on workouts that pushed their limits, learn new skills, fine tune existing skills, and realize that they are capable of more than they previously thought. Our practice event is designed to prepare you for what is to come at the end of February and throughout March in the official CrossFit OPEN.
What is “The OPEN?”
The OPEN is an online competition that marks the beginning of the CrossFit Games season. It is an all-inclusive event that anyone, regardless of fitness level can participate in. CrossFit announces 1 workout each week for 5 weeks. These workouts are designed to test the fitness level of participants and the fittest in the world will advance to the next stage of competition in the spring (regionals). Everyone else gets to see how they stacked up against others from around the world and work towards the goal of doing a little better next year.
The requirements to participate include: a $20 sign-up fee, access to a CrossFit gym or the equipment necessary to complete workouts, an account at http://games.crossfit.com/ and the determination to give your best effort in every workout.
Each week of competition a new workout is announced Thursday night at 8:00pm. Athletes have four days to complete the workout and submit their scores online (Monday at 8:00pm is the cutoff). You can repeat workouts as frequently as you desire in order to achieve the best possible score. The CrossFit Games OPEN begins February 23rd, 2017.
Our goal with the ACF OPEN is to provide ACF athletes with a practice “OPEN” that will:
- Educate current and new athletes about what the actual CrossFit OPEN and the process of participation.
- Teach new skills or improve the skills you already have.
- Focus on movement virtuosity and reinforce OPEN movement standards.
The format be will as close to real OPEN as possible:
- Announcements: We will announce1 workout each week for 4 weeks starting December 31st.
- Videos: Videos of workouts will be posted describing movement standards, scoring, scaling, and strategy.
- Schedule: The schedule can be seen in the table below. The first week is a little different from the others because of the day the first of the year falls on.
- WODS in Class: Athletes will be able to hit each workout in class on Fridays (except for WOD 1 which is on Sunday 1/1) and then utilize open gym time to repeat them.
- Judging: Athletes will need a judge (fellow athlete or coach) to score their workouts and hold them to OPEN standards to ensure a fair competition.
- WOD Submissions: Score due dates are listed in the table below. Email your score to [email protected]
|ACF OPEN SCHEDULE|
|Week||Workout Announced||Programmed in Class||Submit Scores by 8pm on|
|One||December 31st (Saturday)||January 1st (Sunday)||January 4th (Wednesday)|
|Two||January 5th (Thursday)||January 6th (Friday)||January 11th (Wednesday)|
|Three||January 12th (Thursday)||January 13th (Friday)||January 18th (Wednesday)|
|Four||January 19th (Thursday)||January 20th (Friday)||January 25th (Wednesday)|
Sign Me Up!:
- Registration: Begins – Monday, December 19th, 2016. Ends – Wednesday, January 4th, 2016.
- ACF OPEN Start Date: Sunday, January 1st, 2017
- Divisions: RX & Scaled variations of the workouts will be provided.
- Who can Join?: Anyone at ACF regardless of skill level or experience!
- Cost: $10 to participate in the event.
- How Do I Sign Up?: Tell a Coach and they will write your name and division on the whiteboard in the main WOD room. Accounts will be charged in WODify.
- Prizes: Prizes will be announced shortly!